Life Around the Estate
Woodland and Wildlife - Rednal is surrounded and immersed in 300 acres, much of it ancient woodlands. The owners have planted over 10,000 trees per annum over the last 10 years, creating 50 acres of new woodland in the process and assisting the return of Red Kite and larger numbers of hare and waterfowl.
Our role in WWII - A real wealth of aviator history here at Rednal. For interesting stories and images, take a look at Rednal Aerodrome
World Record Jump here at Rednal - Jason Rennie
Commonwealth Games in Delhi 2010 - Phenomenal balloon structure created by Lindstrand Balloons and tested here at Rednal.
Rednal is an old Saxon name and the hamlet was one of the 11 ‘townships’ of nearby Ruyton XI Towns, along with Shotatton, Coton, Shelvock, Haughton, Tedsmore, Wykey, Eardiston, Felton and Sutton. Its' Mill had a toll-bridge over the River Perry, serving the Felton to Ellesmere road, prior to Thomas Telford’s improvements to Watling Street aka the A5. The Montgomeryshire branch of the Shropshire Union canal also goes over the River Perry near Rednal.
The River Perry was straightened in the early 19th-century and deepened in the 1980s, draining the area known as Baggy Moor.
The young Charles Darwin was keen on the area in his youth and spent many summers in his early teens wandering the meadows around Rednal finding interesting bugs, beetles, birds and flowers.
- St. Winifred’s Well - see: Historic England St Winifred's well,
- Pradoe Church, see: Historic England page on Pradoe church
- An abandoned copper-mine, see: Old Copper Mine.
- There is a canal basin near to where the railway crosses the canal, which used to be a potash works, see: 'The Bone Works'.
Good to know
- The nearest bus stop is at Queen’s Head
- The nearest newsagent is at West Felton
- Nearest pub is The Queen’s Head
- Oswestry nearby has Boots, Aldi, Lidl, Sainsburys, Morrisons, M&S and many independent shops, together with a weekly market.
- Interesting local rights of way and walks around Rednal
- Minor Injuries Unit available in Oswestry
Having Fun locally
- Paintball Combat
- Canoeing & SUP
- Oswestry Golf Club
- Model Aircraft Club
- Canal towpath - for nature, walks, cycling etc.
- Ellesmere is great for cycling canoeing, walking, boating.
- And much, much more....